01 Aug Still Yet Dynamic – Let’s meet artist Claire Sower
Claire Sower’s studio is on Granville Island, Vancouver, Canada. Her paintings are about still life, yet they are very dynamic and vibrant too, all were Influenced by Bernard Cathelin, Giorgio Morandi, Oskar Kollar and Ted Smith,
Claire, let’s learn more about you…
1. When did you realize that being an Artist was going to be your path?
2. What inspires you or stimulates your thoughts?
3. What is your average day like?
|Santa Barbara Moment|
4. Why do you think it’s important to work as an artist?
Sherri: “This is so true, we also blogged about this belief in our previous post” Click here for Belle Fusion’s vision on art.”
5. How has your practice changed over time?
|CJSP 02 8″ x 10″|
6. Who’s your favourite Artist? How does this Artist inspire or mentor you?
There are so many artists that I love – but I think the person who has influenced my work the most to date is Bernard Cathelin. I find his use of geometric shapes, and most importantly colour and texture, completely inspiring. The first time I saw his work I fell in love – instantly. He passed on in 2004 but whenever I feel stuck I refer back to his work and the block is gone in no time.
7. Especially in today’s climate, there are many emerging artists looking for the kind of direction and passion that you, as a successful artist, clearly have, what kind of advice would you give to those who are also looking for their direction and path?
I know this has been said countless times – but it’s so true – follow your heart, follow you intuition, paint what you want to paint – what really fires you up, and keep painting it. Continue to learn. And keep an open mind – opportunity often comes in the most unexpected ways.
8. In your opinion, what role is the Artist playing nowadays?
9. What is your 5 year goal?